LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

Can I take action against a man who hit my car on the highway and then fled?

Asked by user in Ohio.

The police eventually caught him and gave him a DUI citation. I now have PTSD from the accident. What can I do to take action against this man?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

You have a few options depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident:

  1. File an insurance claim against the at-fault driver. If the at-fault driver has liability insurance, you can file a claim with his insurance company. In addition to requesting money for the property damage to your vehicle, you can request money for any physical or mental injuries caused by the accident.
  2. File an insurance claim with your own insurer. If the at-fault driver does NOT have insurance, you can file an insurance claim with your own insurance company (assuming you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage).
  3. File a personal injury lawsuit. If the at-fault driver is uninsured and you don’t have UM coverage - or, if either insurance company denies your claim - you’ll need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver to recover damages.

If you have questions about how to proceed, consider using our free online directory to locate an attorney near you. Most initial consultations are free. In the meantime, you can learn more about car insurance laws in Ohio.

Free downloads

Documents & Evidence Checklist
Checklist of 30 items to help you prepare for making a personal injury or accident claim
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions