Ask an attorney

What advice would you give if I hit a car that was illegally parked behind me?

Asked by user in New Jersey.

I hit a car that was illegally parked behind me. The owner of the vehicle provided me with an estimate from an auto body shop for $1,100.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry to hear about your accident.

If the other driver was illegally parked, they may be partially responsible for the accident. New Jersey is a modified comparative fault state, which means a plaintiff’s damages are reduced by their percentage of fault.

If you have liability insurance, then your insurance company should handle the claim. I would make certain to tell your insurance company that the other driver was illegally parked. If you have any proof (photographs, etc.), be sure to provide the evidence to your insurance company.

If you want to avoid going through your insurance company, you can suggest that the other driver get a second estimate in the hopes that it is lower. Alternatively, you can attempt to negotiate a settlement with the other driver based on the fact that they were partially at fault.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134



How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI Previously Answered Questions