Ask an attorney

How do I sue my ex-boyfriend for not returning my car?

Asked by user in California.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

If you purchased the vehicle (i.e., your name is on the purchase and sale agreement), then the vehicle belongs to you and your ex-boyfriend does not have any rights to the vehicle. If your ex-boyfriend is refusing to return the vehicle that belongs to you, you should (a) file a stolen vehicle report with the police, and (b) tell your insurance company about the situation.

If the police are unable to recover the vehicle, you can file a “replevin” lawsuit to determine the rightful owner of the vehicle. To do so, you can use our free online directory to locate an attorney.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134