Ask an attorney

Can renters insurance cover the cost of stolen things?

Asked by user in Oklahoma.

I lived in the apartment. A new tenant moved in and caused all sorts of problems. The tenant assaulted me and stole my things. Now I'm living in a hotel and I don’t have much money. Will my renters insurance help? I’m at a loss on what to do.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry you’re going through this difficult time.

Renters insurance generally covers theft, water and fire damage, and certain bodily injuries. Without looking at your specific policy, it’s impossible for me to know whether you can receive compensation under the policy. I would recommend reviewing your policy and filing a claim if you think any of your losses may be covered.

Additionally, your landlord may be liable for some of the injuries you sustained, particularly if they knew that you were being assaulted by a tenant and failed to take any action.

I would recommend contacting a housing counselor at the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The counselor can provide free advice with respect to housing and rental issues. Additionally, you might consider reaching out to the Oklahoma State Bar Free and Low Cost Legal Services to discuss your legal issues with an attorney.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.