Ask an attorney

How can I get my landlord to evict tenants in my apartment complex?

Asked by user in Louisiana.

I was given a grant through Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) for 3 months rent and a security deposit because I was classified as "chronically homeless." The apartment selected for me is right next to a drug addict! I am bombarded by drug smoke all day and all night. I reported my problem to the assistant manager and she told me she would investigate! When she questioned my neighbor about her drug use, my neighbor hit her in the face. The police were called, but my neighbor was not arrested.

I was told on the day of the incident that my neighbor was being evicted. I was told that she had 5 days to move. It has been over 2 weeks. I asked the manager why my neighbor is still here and the manager told me that my neighbor has an eviction notice but that the agency shes being housed through needs time to find her another place to stay!

There are other drug dealers on this floor as well.

Can you please advise me what I should do?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

In Louisiana, landlords can be held responsible for the activities on their properties if it can be proven that they knew or should have known that those activities were causing damage.

In your case, your landlord has been made aware that a tenant is engaged in activities that are causing damage to the complex and to the health and safety of other tenants. Accordingly, your landlord probably has a legal obligation to evict the tenant. If your landlord fails to do so, you may be able to withhold your rent or break your lease.

With all that being said, landlords in Louisiana are required to provide tenants with notice (5 days, 10 days, or 30 days depending on the terms of the lease) before they can sue the tenant for eviction.

In your situation, its possible your landlord has to wait for the notice period to run before evicting the tenant. Its also possible that your landlord has already sued the tenant and is currently waiting for the court to force the tenant to leave the premises.

If you wish to pursue this matter further, I recommend reaching out to your local legal aid office.

Free downloads

Documents & Evidence Checklist
Checklist of 30 items to help you prepare for making a personal injury or accident claim
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134