Ask an attorney

What are my legal options against my noisy neighbor?

Asked by user in Illinois.

My neighbor has been filing false reports with DCFS. He also plays his music at 6:00 a.m. every morning. How can I get legal help?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry you’re having trouble with your neighbor.

False reporting is usually classified as a low level misdemeanor. As for the noise issues, I would recommend writing a letter to your landlord explaining the issue and asking your landlord to take steps to ensure that the tenant is not unreasonably loud.

If you decide you want to pursue a legal claim, I would recommend contacting the Illinois State Bar Lawyer Referral Service. The operators will ask you about the issues you’re experiencing and connect you with an attorney who can help.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134