2801 Devine St, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: (803) 766-7650
About William L. Smith, II
William ("Bill") Smith has made helping injured workers his life’s work.
With more than 35 years of experience exclusively representing injured workers, Bill understands that his role as an attorney includes both being an educator and an advocate. From the very first client meeting, Bill lets his clients know what they’re entitled to receive and what they can expect from the litigation process.
What’s more, Bill offers FREE INITIAL CONSULTATIONS. Contact him today to find out what it feels like to have more than 35 years of legal experience on your side.
Bill Smith has been representing injured workers exclusively for more than 35 years.
When Bill was a child growing up in Gaffney, South Carolina, he met an attorney while accompanying his father on his father’s delivery route. The attorney was extremely kind, and his office was filled with books. Bill knew at that moment—though he was only five years old—that he wanted to be a lawyer.
In 2023, Bill co-founded Smith, Born, Leventis, Taylor & Vega, LLC (SBLTV), where he exclusively represents injured workers. Over the course of his career, he’s represented thousands of workers and tried roughly 3,000 cases before the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission.
In 2019, Bill was elected president of the Workers Injury Law and Advocacy Group (WILG).
In his rare moments of downtime, Bill enjoys hanging out with his wife, Debbie, his four grown children, and his dogs (Lola, an Old English sheepdog and Izzy, a Bernedoodle). You might also find Bill taking a stroll around Five Points or the University of South Carolina campus.
Education and experience
Limestone College (1981)
Law school attended
University of South Carolina (1984)
Bar admissions and certifications
South Carolina Bar (1984)
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Workers’ Compensation Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Kids Chance of South Carolina
- Commission on Lawyer Conduct
- Governor’s Advisory Committee for Workers’ Compensation Laws
- College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
Honors and awards
- The Best Lawyers in America (2000-2021)
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Rated
- WILG – Top Injured Workers’ Attorneys
- WILG - Presidential Service Award (2020)
- WILG - President’s Award (2019)
- WILG - Rising Star (2014)
- College Of Workers' Compensation Lawyers Fellow (2017)