Ask an attorney

Today I was hit by a California State Park F250! She was in the wrong and I need to know the steps to take so I can be compensated for my injuries.

Asked by user in California.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Assuming you were not at fault for the accident, you have 3 options:

  1. File an insurance claim with your own insurance company (in which case your insurance company will seek reimbursement from the at-fault driver’s insurance company),
  2. File a third-party insurance claim directly with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, or
  3. File a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

Keep in mind that there are certain steps you need to take before you can file a personal injury lawsuit against a government agency, and the deadline to file a claim may be shorter. If you choose to go this route, I would strongly recommend meeting with an attorney as soon as possible. You can locate an attorney in your area using our free online directory.

Free downloads

Documents & Evidence Checklist
Checklist of 30 items to help you prepare for making a personal injury or accident claim
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.