Identification Requirements

The state of Texas requires individuals to verify their identification in order to reduce identity theft when applying for a driver license. Applicants may choose one of three options for proving their identity:

  • Bring one Primary Identity Document;
  • Bring two Secondary Identity Documents; or
  • Bring one Secondary Identity Document and two Supporting Identity Documents.

  • The information provided on all identity verification documents must match. When using a name other than what is on your birth certificate (such as a married name), you must show legal documentation of the name change (i.e. a marriage certificate, divorce decree, certified revised birth certificate, etc.).

    Primary Identity Documents

    Only one primary document is required to prove identity.
    • Texas driver license or Texas identification card not expired more than 2 years (proof of citizenship will be required if not previously established)
    • Unexpired U.S. passport book or card
    • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization with identifiable photograph (N-560, N-561, N-645, N-550, N-55G, N-570 or N-578)
    • Unexpired Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services document with verifiable data and identifiable photo, such as one of the following:
      • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
      • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
      • Foreign passport with attached temporary I-551 (immigrant visa endorsed with ADIT stamp)
      • Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
      • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
      • U.S. Travel Document (I-327 or I-571)
      • Advance Parole Document (I-512 or I-512L)
      • I-94 stamped Sec. 208 Asylee with photo
      • I-94 stamped Sec. 207 Refugee with photo
      • Refugee Travel Letter with photo, stamped by Customs and Border Protection
      • American Indian Card (I-872)
      • Northern Mariana card (I-873)
    • Foreign passport with attached visa and Form I-94
    • Unexpired U.S. military ID card for active duty, reserve or retired personnel with identifiable photo

    Secondary Identity Documents

    Two secondary documents are required to prove identity.
    • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a State Bureau of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency from a U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia or a Canadian province*
    • For U.S. citizens born abroad—Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350 or FS-545) or Consular Report of Birth (FS-240) issued by the U.S. Department of State
    • Original or certified copy of a court order with name and date of birth indicating a name and/or gender change from a U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia or a Canadian province

    *NOTE: The Texas Department of Safety no longer recognizes Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 as a valid proof of identification.
    + +

    Supporting Identity Documents

    One secondary document (center column) and two supporting documents are required to prove identity.
    • Social security card
    • Form W-2 or 1099
    • Driver license or ID card issued by another U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia or Canadian province (unexpired or expired less than two years)
    • Texas driver license or ID card that has been expired more than two years
    • Temporary Texas driver license or ID card
    • School records (e.g., report cards, photo ID cards)
    • Unexpired U.S. military dependent identification card
    • Original or certified copy of marriage license or divorce decree (if the document is not in English, a certified translation must accompany it)
    • Voter registration card
    • Pilot license
    • Concealed handgun license or License to Carry
    • Professional license issued by a Texas state agency
    • ID card issued by a government agency
    • Consular document issued by a state or national government
    • Texas Inmate ID card or similar form of ID issued by Texas Department of Criminal Justice
    • Texas Department of Criminal Justice parole or mandatory release certificate
    • Federal inmate identification card
    • Federal parole or release certificate
    • Medicare or Medicaid card
    • Selective Service card
    • Immunization records
    • Tribal membership card from federally-recognized tribe
    • Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood
    • Unexpired foreign passport
    • Unexpired insurance policy valid for the past two years (e.g., auto, home or life insurance)
    • Current Texas vehicle registration or title
    • Current Texas boat registration or title
    • Veteran's ID card issued by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
    • Abstract (shortened) birth certificate
    • Hospital-issued birth record*
    • Military records (e.g., Form DD-214, DD-215, NGB-22)

    Quick Links

    Actionable Resources