Ask an attorney

Can I file a civil lawsuit against the owner of the building where I was raped?

Asked by user in Nebraska.

I was living in an apartment building. Two men forced themselves into my apartment and raped me.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

You can certainly file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrators of the crime. There is no statute of limitations for rape in Nebraska, meaning you don’t have to file the lawsuit by a certain date.

You may be able to sue the building owner if the building owner knew or should have known about the danger and failed to take any steps to protect you.

I would recommend meeting with an attorney in your area to discuss your legal options. You can find one using our free online directory. I would also recommend reaching out to a support group to help you through this difficult time.

Free downloads

Personal Injury Attorney Interview Sheet
Worksheet with questions to ask a personal injury attorney to help determine if he or she will be a good fit for your case
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Premises Liability Previously Answered Questions