Ask an attorney

Can I get medical bills paid by my landlord?

Asked by user in Montana.

I took the garbage out, and the large trailer park garbage can blew back and struck me. I’m experiencing terrible low back and neck pain.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Landlords have a duty to maintain common areas in a reasonably safe condition (Montana Code 70-24-303). You may be able to recover damages if you can prove that the landlord knew the garbage can was unsafe and failed to take steps to fix the problem.

I would recommend meeting with an attorney in your area. Most initial consultations are free and the attorney will be able to review the specific facts of your case and tell you whether you have a valid claim. You can find a Montana attorney in your area using our free online legal directory.

Free downloads

Documents & Evidence Checklist
Checklist of 30 items to help you prepare for making a personal injury or accident claim
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

Matthew J. Murphy

Matthew J. Murphy is an Associate Attorney and Partner/Shareholder at Murphy Law Firm. He brings a lot of energy to everything he does, aggressively representing clients in the areas of workers’ compensation, unsafe workplace, personal injury, wrongful death, trucking & auto accidents, brain injuries, employment and Social Security disability law.

Contact attorney
Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Premises Liability Previously Answered Questions