Ask an attorney

What can I do if I was assaulted twice inside my apartment hallway?

Asked by user in Missouri.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

You can certainly press criminal charges against the assailants and file a civil lawsuit for the damages caused by their actions under intentional tort law.

You may also be able to file a lawsuit against your landlord.

In Missouri, landlords have a duty to use “ordinary care” to protect against “foreseeable” crimes (See Aaron v. Havens, 758 S.W.2d 446, 447 (Mo. banc 1988).). In your case, the assault may have been foreseeable, particularly if you told your landlord about the first assault. Accordingly, your landlord might be liable if they failed to take any reasonable steps to make the apartment safer after the first assault (such as installing locks, security lights, or security cameras).

I would recommend meeting with an attorney in your area to discuss your legal options. You can find one using our free online directory.

Free downloads

Personal Injury Attorney Interview Sheet
Worksheet with questions to ask a personal injury attorney to help determine if he or she will be a good fit for your case
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Premises Liability Previously Answered Questions