Ask an attorney

Who do I sue if my 17-year-old daughter was raped at work while the owners were away?

Asked by user in Texas.

The guy was arrested and released on bail.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m so sorry this happened to your daughter.

Depending on the specific circumstances, you may be able to sue both the perpetrator and the employer for damages. Practically speaking, a lawyer would probably file a lawsuit against the perpetrator and attempt to negotiate a settlement with the employer’s insurance company.

I would recommend meeting with a personal injury attorney in your area. Most initial consultations are free. You can find an attorney using our free online directory. If you think you may qualify for free legal help, you can contact the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service.

Finally, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline and carries out programs to prevent sexual assault, help victims, and ensure that rapists are brought to justice. Call them toll-free at (800) 656-HOPE (4673).

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

Laura Brown

Laura Brown has dedicated her career to being an advocate for individuals, children and families who have been hurt due to another person's negligence. In 2000, she launched her own personal injury law firm to focus on cases in Texas and nationwide, and she is especially passionate about birth injuries.

Laura attended Baylor University as an undergraduate premedical student, graduating with a degree in biology. Though she was destined to be a trial lawyer like her father and grandfather before her, her pre-med background was the perfect training for her ultimate calling: fighting for the victims of negligence. She was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1992 and has served her community ever since.

Contact attorney