Ask an attorney

What do I do if my husband is incarcerated and he's been trying to reach his lawyer for a year?

Asked by user in Tennessee.

We have left countless messages with the secretary no returned calls.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Your husband’s lawyer has an ethical responsibility to respond to your husband in a timely manner. If the attorney was privately retained, your husband has the right to fire his attorney for lack of responsiveness and hire a new attorney. If your husband’s attorney is a public defender, your husband will need to request permission from the judge and provide evidence that his attorney hasn’t responded to him in a year.

What’s more, your husband can file an ethical complaint against his attorney. The Tennessee State Bar will investigate the complaint.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134