Ask an attorney

Can I fire my lawyer and handle my probate estate claim myself, and how do I inform the court?

Asked by user in South Carolina.

I hired a lawyer to facilitate the probate process for my deceased uncles estate. I am the personal representative for the estate. To date, I have received inaccurate and misleading advice regarding my right to handle business within the estate. Additionally, my lawyer has inappropriately questioned my attempts to liquidate property of the estate. I would like to terminate the contract with my lawyer and proceed with the probate process myself. Am I required to secure another lawyer since my current lawyer started the probate process in the court? How can I inform the court of my desire to complete the probate process on my own?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

In the vast majority of cases, you are free to terminate the attorney-client relationship and proceed with the probate on your own. To do so, you need to have your lawyer file a motion to withdraw with the court.

Free downloads

Personal Injury Attorney Interview Sheet
Worksheet with questions to ask a personal injury attorney to help determine if he or she will be a good fit for your case
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134