Ask an attorney

What do I do if my friend breached a contract?

Asked by user in Illinois.

I have a friend who helped me obtain a Harley Davidson. She had the bike in her name but I made the payments. We entered into a contract that she would give me the bike when it was paid off. I have a receipt saying the bike is paid off but she won’t give me the bike. What do I do?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Assuming the sales contract is valid and you made all of the payments required under the contract, your friend breached the contract by refusing to turn over the motorcycle.

A good first step would be to send your friend a demand letter (send it via “certified mail with return receipt requested” so you have proof that it was received). The demand letter should include a copy of the contract and receipt, and should threaten legal action if the motorcycle is not turned over in a certain number of days.

If the motorcycle is not turned over, you’ll need to file a breach of contract lawsuit in court. If the motorcycle is worth $10,000 or less, you can file the lawsuit in small claims court without an attorney. If the motorcycle is worth more than $10,000, I would consider hiring an attorney to file a lawsuit and represent you in circuit court. You can find an attorney near you using our free online directory.

Free downloads

Personal Injury Attorney Interview Sheet
Worksheet with questions to ask a personal injury attorney to help determine if he or she will be a good fit for your case
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134