Ask an attorney

What are my options if I cannot afford to hire an attorney?

Asked by user in Florida.

I have been named in a civil lawsuit in the Northern District of Georgia. I live in Florida. I cannot afford an attorney. Are there resources that can help?

I don't want to represent myself as a pro se litigant if I don't have to, but if I do I would like guidance in creating the answer to the summons I received. I am not familiar with PACER or CM/ECF and don't have time to learn it.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

The Federal Bar Association has developed an informational handbook for self-represented (pro se) litigants that is available here. The handbook contains general information that may be helpful, but not all parts are applicable to the Northern District of Georgia.

You can visit the Northern District of Georgia’s webpage for pro se guidance here. In general, the clerk’s office staff can provide procedural information, including helping you use PACER.

Depending on your financial situation and the nature of your lawsuit, you may be able to receive free legal help through legal aid.

In the meantime, I would consider looking through our Georgia personal injury pages, which may help you understand your lawsuit and formulate a response.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134