Ask an attorney

What legal actions can I take for an unsafe living environment?

Asked by user in Texas.

I rent a room in a house with 3 other people. I'm on disability and have had problems since I was in a tornado. The owner lives here and drinks every night. Another renter drinks and sells drugs. I'm 64 with blood clots in my lungs, so moving in the heat is not good. Today, my air conditioning went out and last week the refrigerator broke. I lost all of my food. The owner yells and scares me. I have to fill the toilet with water to flush. Its so hot I can't sleep. My only other option is sleeping in my van. I cannot find affordable rent during covid.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. It sounds like there are several ways in which your living situation is not feasible or safe. I encourage you to seek assistance to find another place to live.

There are resources in Texas to help with affordable housing, such as https://www.hud.gov/states/texas/renting and https://hhs.texas.gov/doing-business-hhs/provider-portals/long-term-care-providers/resources/promoting-independence/affordable-housing-resources. These are good places to begin. You might also contact this organization: https://www.tsahc.org/.

If you're unable to find a better living situation through any of these resources, please contact your local bar association, which might be able to provide a referral to resources or a landlord/tenant attorney who can help.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134