Ask an attorney

Can I sue my landlord?

Asked by user in Texas.

I'm currently renting without a lease because the landlord told me we dont need to renew the lease since we already talked about me buying the house that Im renting and that everything would be the same (paying 1,000 a month for a 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom house). A couple of months ago he decided to raise our rent because his taxes are going up.

Also, when we first started renting he told us he would use the backyard to park 2-3 cars, but now he has 2 trucks, a car, a trailer, and a machine. I told him that he only said 2-3 cars and he was very upset because he says its his house and he can put whatever he likes in the backyard and if we don't like it we have a month to move out. Not only that, he also said that we are renting the house (not the backyard), and that we don't use it so he can put as many cars as he wants back there.

I'm just so irritated with this landlord. I feel like hes playing dirty and not doing things right and I just want to know if I can sue him because it's not fair.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

It sounds like you entered into an oral lease agreement with your landlord. It sounds like the terms of that agreement are that you will rent the house month-to-month in accordance with the terms of the prior written lease agreement (i.e., $1,000 per month). Your landlord is now attempting to increase the rent payment.

First, when it comes to month-to-month leases in Texas, your landlord is allowed to raise your rent any time he wants so long as he gives you 30 days notice.

As for the vehicle issues, your rights depend on the language in the agreement. If the agreement says something about how the back is to be used, then that language controls. On the other hand, if the agreement simply says that the back is included as part of your rental, then you have a right to keep it free of your landlords possessions.

Free downloads

Personal Injury Attorney Interview Sheet
Worksheet with questions to ask a personal injury attorney to help determine if he or she will be a good fit for your case
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134