Ask an attorney

How do I go about getting money back from my attorney after firing him?

Asked by user in Tennessee.

I’ve paid $30,000 and I don't think my attorney has done anything but lie and ignore me.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry you’re having trouble with your attorney.

Without reviewing your file and the attorney-client agreement, it’s impossible for me to know whether your attorney owes you money. With that being said, there are 2 things you can do to hopefully resolve this issue:

  1. You can contact the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) at 1-800-486-5714 or through their website. CAP helps consumers who are having trouble with their attorneys. CAP will review your case and send the attorney a formal demand letter, help mediate the dispute, or refer your case to the Disciplinary Counsel.
  2. You can meet with another attorney to discuss your contract dispute. If you need help finding an attorney, you can use our free online directory. Most initial consultations are free.
Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

Gilreath & Associates

Gilreath & Associates have spent the past 35 years helping thousands of clients in Tennessee receive the just compensation they deserve for incidents of serious injury and wrongful death resulting from personal injury, products liability, and medical malpractice.

Contact attorney