Ask an attorney

How do I let someone know that I am going to sue them for breach of contract?

I have a signed contract for one quarter of his company.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Due process requires that you provide the defendant with notice of your lawsuit. This is done by serving the defendant with a complaint and summons.

The law provides several methods for properly serving a defendant. The most common method is to serve the defendant personally by handing the defendant a copy of the complaint and summons (or, by having a process server hand the defendant a copy of the complaint and summons). However, appropriate methods of service depend on the nature of the defendant and the state in which youre suing the defendant.

Keep in mind that if you don't properly serve the defendant, the defendant can have your case dismissed. For this reason, its a good idea to meet with an attorney before attempting to serve the defendant.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

R. Mack Babcock

Successfully obtaining workers compensation benefits is often a marathon, not a sprint. As a Marine veteran and Ironman triathlete, R. Mack Babcock knows all about the willpower and strategy needed in these marathon cases. Mack is an award-winning Colorado workers compensation attorney in Denver and the founder of the Babcock Law Firm.

He uses his extensive legal knowledge, experience and resources to help injured individuals and families get the benefits they deserve according to the law. He is committed to representing Coloradans, not corporations.

Contact attorney