Ask an attorney

What are my rights regarding an individual who is stalking and harassing me?

Asked by user in Ohio.

I was physically bullied by another employee at work beginning in April of this year. At the same time, the employee started following me to my apartment complex, waiting in the parking lot for me and tried to follow me into my apartment. I contacted my employer who moved him to another location and changed his hours and told him to stay away for me. The issues have continued outside of work. He moved in with his father who lives in the next building to me. The police have offered me no help.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry this is happening to you.

It sounds like you were experiencing workplace harassment for a period of time. During this period of time, your employer likely had a legal duty to take certain steps to keep you safe. However, now that the harassment is occurring solely outside of work, it is your responsibility to take action.

I would recommend asking the court for a protective order. A protective order is an order issued by the court that prohibits a person from doing something (such as harassing you, communicating with you, or even living near you).

In Ohio, you can get the forms you need to apply for a protective order from the clerk at your local court. After you complete the forms and return them to the clerk, the clerk will give the forms to the judge who will decide whether to issue a temporary order. If the judge decides to issue a temporary order, the clerk will work with the local police to serve the harasser with the order.

If you need legal help accomplishing these steps, consider hiring an attorney or reaching out to your local legal aid office.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134