Ask an attorney

What recourse do I have with respect to my Colorado landlord?

Asked by user in Colorado.

I’m having issues with discrimination, harassment, threats, and issues being ignored for 4 years. I’m also being put in danger and they’re not following COVID-19 guidelines. Who can help?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry you’re having such a difficult time.

It sounds like there are a number of landlord-tenant issues you’re dealing with. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind with respect to tenant rights in Colorado:

  • A tenant has the right to a residential property that’s fit for human habitation. In other words, a tenant has the right to be free from conditions that interfere with the tenant’s health or safety. (CRS 38-12-503)
  • A tenant has the right to be free from discrimination and harassment. (CRS 38-12-509)

If your landlord violates these (or any other tenant rights), you may have grounds for a constructive eviction. In other words, you may be able to lawfully break your lease if the issue is not resolved after providing written notice to your landlord.

Before breaking your lease (or taking any other action against your landlord), it’s important to talk to a landlord-tenant attorney in your area. If you think you qualify for free or reduced-cost legal help, you can contact Colorado Housing Connects or one of Colorado’s legal aid organizations.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

R. Mack Babcock

Successfully obtaining workers compensation benefits is often a marathon, not a sprint. As a Marine veteran and Ironman triathlete, R. Mack Babcock knows all about the willpower and strategy needed in these marathon cases. Mack is an award-winning Colorado workers compensation attorney in Denver and the founder of the Babcock Law Firm.

He uses his extensive legal knowledge, experience and resources to help injured individuals and families get the benefits they deserve according to the law. He is committed to representing Coloradans, not corporations.

Contact attorney