Ask an attorney

Do I need a lawyer if the Department of Human Services (DHS) is investigating me for abuse and neglect?

Asked by user in Colorado.

I pulled my child who had an Individual Education Plan out of school because of bullying. I immediately had her enrolled in Astravo Online Academy. It has almost been a month now. The DHS worker found my daughter’s father, who is a registered sex offender. The DHS worker keeps saying she’s going to get back to me, but I rarely hear from her. I’m scared and don’t want to lose my kids because of pulling my daughter out of school. Please help.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Thank you for your question. I don’t have enough information about your case to know whether you need to hire a dependency attorney or whether these issues can be resolved by working with your child’s social worker. With that being said, it never hurts to meet with an attorney (especially if you are concerned for your child’s safety). Most initial consultations are free and the initial consultation can help clarify whether the attorney can be helpful or not.

If you need help finding an attorney, you can locate one using the Colorado State Bar Association search feature. If you think you may qualify for free or reduced-cost legal help, you can contact Colorado Legal Services.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134