Ask an attorney

Do I have to pay my ex back?

Asked by user in Arkansas.

I married a man and he was abusive. We only lived together for 2 months before I left. Now he is suing me for $15,000 and I don't feel like I should have to pay him back. He has a criminal history.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Whether or not you owe your ex-husband $15,000 has nothing to do with your husband’s criminal record. I don’t know the circumstances surrounding the claim for $15,000, but if you don’t believe he is owed the money then you have the right to prove your case in court.

You may want to hire an attorney to help you do so. You can use our free online directory to locate an attorney near you. If you can’t afford an attorney, you can contact the HelpLine, a service provided by the Center for Arkansas Legal Services and Legal Aid of Arkansas.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134