LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

Will insurance pay for my accident?

Asked by user in South Dakota.

I am the owner of the car I borrowed from an unlicensed driver. He told me he has a license. I found out after it was stolen that he does not have a license. Will insurance pay me?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

In South Dakota, liability insurance, comprehensive insurance, and collision insurance typically follow the car. This means that the owner’s liability, comprehensive, and collision insurance will cover the driver of the car. However, the coverage may be void if the owner of the car is unlicensed depending on the wording of the specific car insurance policy.

On the other hand, personal injury protection (PIP) and MedPay coverage typically follow the driver. In other words, if you have PIP or MedPay coverage, it should pay for your injuries regardless of who owns the vehicle.

Keep in mind that the above information is only relevant if you caused the car accident. If someone else caused the car accident, then their liability insurance will pay for your damages, regardless of who owns the car and whether they’re licensed.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions