LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

Can I dispute a car insurance claim that found my dad at fault for an accident?

Asked by user in Oregon.

My dad didn't have insurance at the time. A police report was not filed, and both drivers left. The other driver’s insurance found my dad at fault and wants us to pay $2,141.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

If you believe the other driver is at fault for the accident, then you should file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. If the insurance company believes you were at fault for the accident, the insurance company will deny your claim. At that point, you can attempt to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company (this may involve an exchange of evidence) or you can file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

Before filing a claim that you expect to be denied, it’s a good idea to meet with an attorney. You can use our free online directory to locate an attorney in your area. Alternatively, if you can’t afford an attorney, you can contact the Oregon State Bar Referral Service and inquire about free or reduced-cost attorneys.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions