Ask an attorney

What can I do if my parked car was hit during a police chase?

Asked by user in New York.

My car was hit while parked by a car being chased by the NYPD. There was no VIN number provided for the car that hit mine and no one was in my vehicle. Now I have to pay out-of-pocket with a deductible and they are putting recycled parts in my 3-year-old vehicle.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Have you checked to see whether a police report was filed? If so, it should contain the at-fault driver’s contact information. Filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company will allow you to avoid paying a deductible to have your vehicle repaired. You also have the option of suing the at-fault driver personally to recover your deductible.

If you believe your insurance company failed to provide appropriate compensation, you can contact an attorney to help negotiate a better settlement or file a bad faith claim if necessary.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134



How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI Previously Answered Questions