LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

How do I sue the driver of my car for the loss of my vehicle?

Asked by user in North Dakota.

A friend borrowed my car and rear-ended a pickup truck. She was at fault. My insurance company is paying for the damage on the other vehicle.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

The first thing you should do is check to see whether there’s any available insurance coverage for the accident. Your auto insurance policy may cover the damage if you have “collision coverage.” Similarly, your friend’s auto insurance policy may cover the damage if they have collision coverage.

If the accident isn’t covered by insurance, you’ll need to file a personal injury lawsuit against your friend in order to recover the costs. If the damage is less than $15,000, you might consider filing the lawsuit in small claims court. If the damage is more than $15,000, you might consider hiring a personal injury attorney. You can find a personal injury attorney near you using our free online directory. Most initial consultations are free.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions