Ask an attorney

Can I take the driver who hit my car to small claims court?

Asked by user in NC.

My car was hit and the driver of the other vehicle admitted guilt. His insurance company said he was only 70% in the wrong, so they won't fix it. Do I have a legal case to go to small claims court?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

North Carolina is 1 of only 5 states that follow the strict contributory negligence rule. Under this rule, if a victim’s own negligence contributed to causing the accident to any degree, the victim recovers nothing (with a few narrow exceptions). Accordingly, if you were 30% at fault for the accident, you can’t recover any damages.

With that being said, if you think the insurance company is wrong and you don’t believe you were partially at fault for the accident, you can negotiate with the insurance company or take the insurance company to court for failing to pay a legitimate claim.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134



How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.