LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

Can I still sue the drunk driver that hit my parked car?

Asked by user in Michigan.

It's been almost 3 years and I really need to get my car fixed.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

In Michigan, the statute of limitations for damage to property is 3 years (see Michigan Compiled Laws § 600.5805). In other words, you have 3 years from the date the drunk driver hit your car (or the date you discovered that the drunk driver hit your car) to file a personal injury lawsuit.

I would recommend meeting with a Michigan personal injury attorney immediately and explaining that the statute of limitations is going to expire soon. The attorney should be able to quickly file a personal injury lawsuit, which can later be amended if necessary. Alternatively, you can file a lawsuit in small claims court (so long as the claim is for $6,500 or less).

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions