LIMITED OFFER: 50% Off* Contributor Profiles in April. Use code contributor50 during checkout. Join now
Ask an attorney

Will insurance cover my son for getting into an accident in my truck?

Asked by user in Idaho.

My son borrowed my truck and was in an accident. He was at fault. Will my insurance cover the damages?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

Generally speaking, car insurance “follows the car.” In other words, your car insurance will cover any damage to your vehicle so long as the person driving your vehicle had your permission to drive the vehicle.

There are a few exceptions to this general rule. Most notably, an insurance company can explicitly exclude certain people from coverage (such as a specific member of your family or a driver who doesn’t have a valid license). Any exclusions would need to be stated in the policy.

Therefore, to be sure your son isn’t excluded from coverage, you’ll need to look at your auto insurance policy. You can request a full copy of your policy from your insurer.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134


Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI
Previously Answered Questions