Ask an attorney

What are my rights if I was a passenger in a head-on collision between two cars?

Asked by user in Iowa.

I suffered vision loss, severe traumatic brain injury, and the permanent loss of use of one arm.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Iowa is an “at-fault insurance state.” This means that the person who caused your accident is responsible for paying the damages. Accordingly, to recover damages, you need to file a lawsuit or an insurance claim against the person who caused your accident (i.e., the driver of your vehicle or the driver of the other vehicle).

Assuming you can prove fault, you can recover the following damages:

  • Economic damages represent the monetary losses caused by your accident (medical expenses, lost wages, etc.)
  • Non-monetary damages represent the non-monetary losses caused by your accident (pain and suffering, etc.)

I would recommend meeting with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to discuss your case. In Iowa, you generally have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file a lawsuit within 2 years, your claim may be forever barred.

You can find a personal injury attorney near you using our free online directory.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134



How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI Previously Answered Questions