Ask an attorney

Hello. I was involved in a car accident and the motorist was uninsured and had their license suspended. The estimated total cost in damage is $6,067. Is it worth it to take to a small claims court?

Asked by user in Georgia.

Answered by Enjuris Editors:


Thank you for contacting our firm about your car wreck. I am sorry to hear about your situation. From your question, it sounds like you are concerned about the damage to your vehicle. In general, it might make sense to make a claim in Magistrate Court against the responsible driver for the damage done to your car, but there may be some other options for you to consider first.

It is common for there to be more than one insurance policy that applies to a wreck. For example, if the responsible driver was driving a car owned by someone else, the coverage on the car may apply or you may have uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy to help in this situation. Please give us a call so that we can learn more details about your specific situation to help determine if we can be of assistance to you or try to point you in the right direction.

Please understand that we do not represent you as an attorney/client relationship is not established with our firm unless a retainer agreement has been signed. Also, since there are strict time limitations involved in making legal claims through the court system, it is imperative that you contact an attorney right away for appropriate legal advice.

Kind regards,

Philip R. Potter
Partner and Personal Injury Attorney with Westmoreland, Patterson, Moseley & Hinson, L.L.P.

Free downloads

Your First Meeting with an Attorney
A worksheet to prepare for your first meeting with a personal injury attorney – what to bring, what they'll ask
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight

Philip R. Potter

Philip R. Potter is a partner in the firm who works primarily in the area of personal injury. He enjoys providing clients with personalized attention by drawing on his previous experiences as an educator and police officer. A native of Warner Robins, Philip holds degrees from Valdosta State University, the University of Georgia, and Mercer University.

Contact attorney

How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI Previously Answered Questions