Ask an attorney

What do I do if I need my car and I’m having trouble getting a police report?

Asked by user in California.

I was driving southbound on the freeway and a car accident caused car debris to fly under my car. This caused damage to my front bumper and popped my two front tires. I’m still trying to get a police report but it isn’t ready yet since I wasn’t able to exchange information with other parties. I had to get the car towed. Will I ruin my chances of getting covered if I attempt to replace the tires myself just so I can have a car meanwhile?

Answered by Enjuris Editors:

I would consider reaching out to your own insurance company. Your insurance company can pay your claim and then seek reimbursement (otherwise known as “subrogation”) from the at-fault party’s insurance provider. What’s more, some auto insurance policies include “rental reimbursement” coverage, which would allow you to rent a car while your vehicle is being fixed.

I would be reluctant to replace your tires before speaking with your insurance company. If you absolutely must do so, be sure to save the towing receipt and take several time-stamped photographs so you can support your claim for damages.

Free downloads

Accident Report Form
Sample post-accident report form to keep in your glove box - fill out at the scene or as soon as you can after a car accident
Download in PDF format

Enjuris Partner Attorney Spotlight
Representatives answer calls for attorney services. Dial 800-734-4134

Legal Rights Defenders

Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Lawyers


(800) 734-4134



How to Find the Right Car Accident Attorney for You

So you've been involved in a car accident and think you may have a case. How do you find the right attorney to help you?

Read our complete guide to finding the right injury attorney for your case. Read insights from Enjuris attorneys and lawyers across the USA on when and why you need to hire a car accident attorney. Learn more

Do you have a question?
Ask a Lawyer

It’s free, anonymous and confidential.
Car Accident, DUI, DWI Previously Answered Questions